SAR Dog Information
(click to open)
Did You Know...
- SARDAA is one of the only registered western Canadian dog team to have water search capabilities
- SARDAA aided in the development of the first RCMP search dog standard
- The training process to certifications takes about 2 years, and about 2,000 hours of training time
- K9 Handlers may spend on average $30,000 on upkeep, care and training of their SAR dog
- SAR dogs can work 6-8 hours a day with breaks
- Ideally pups begin training at 8 weeks; 10 year working life
- Dogs can easily locate bullet casings in short grass or blood splatter in a vehicle or a body in 30 feet of water
- SAR dogs help bring closure to families of victims
- SARDAA’s dog teams are on call for tasking agencies 24/7
- SAR dogs love the game!